The Legislator Scorecard is a summary of the voting and co-sponsorship records of each state legislator on issues important to New York physicians during the 2022 legislative session.
Physicians should be aware that there are a variety of factors relevant to contribution decisions which are not reflected in a scorecard. These include such things as: whether a legislator is in the majority or minority; the margin between majority and minority in a particular house; whether a legislator chairs a particularly relevant committee; and whether a member holds a leadership position in their legislative body.
It is also important to consider such things as: how a legislator is regarded by their colleagues; debate participation; and the negotiating role of a particular legislator. Furthermore, in New York State, many political decisions take place behind the scenes. There are many instances in which a legislator helps MSSNY by making sure a bad bill never reaches a floor vote, or amends a bill to address the concerns of physicians. Scorecards do not reflect that "value" element.
Both membership in MSSNY and monetary contributions to MSSNYPAC are what makes this work possible and what keeps us working on behalf of New York physicians and their patients. Not only do we work proactively, but we also help defeat regressive and inappropriate scope of practice expansions put forward by other interest groups. The collective voice of physicians represented by MSSNY is vitally important and your support is crucial. Thank you.
The seven bills supported by MSSNY on the scorecard include:
- A879/S8113 – Same Specialty Review By Health Plan
- A1741/S5299 – Limits Copay Accumulators
- A3276/S5909 – Limits Mental Health Step Therapy
- A9687/S9079 – Protects Physicians Who Provide Reproductive Care
- A10502/S9113 – Expands Red Flags & Background Checks
- A6256/S5055 – Telehealth Payment Parity
- A9908/S8299 – Gold Card Bill
The four bills opposed by MSSNY on the scorecard include:
- A6770/S74 – Wrongful Death Expansion
- A3470C/S2521C – Facility Fee Disclosure
- A273/S4640 – Opioid Prescribing Alternatives
- A6008-E/S9449 – Mental Health Counselors Diagnosis
To view details pertaining to the substance of the bills listed and MSSNY's position, view the Bill Memorandums.
We thank you so very much for your support and being a Force for Change in NYS healthcare policy. Your donations make these resources available.
Click here to view MSSNYPAC's Scorecard.